[Haskell-cafe] benchmarking c/c++ and haskell

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at web.de
Wed Sep 15 06:41:21 EDT 2010

On Wednesday 15 September 2010 12:22:24, Vo Minh Thu wrote:
> Thanks all for your answsers. I still wonder why some people get very
> different results between gcc and ghc, and some others don't. A
> difference in processor?

Architecture (32/64-bit, x86/..., ...), processor, gcc version, OS, all
play a role. Since ghc fares pretty well on 64-bit linux (David Terei and
Don), both, via the NCG and via C, it seems its 64-bit code generator is
better than its 32-bit code generator :(
And judging from David's 32-bit Windows timings, GHC's 32-bit code
generator is better adapted to Windows than to linux, but its generated C
code is horrible for Windows.