[Haskell-cafe] Re: Do expression definition

Michael Lazarev lazarev.michael at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 06:22:30 EDT 2010

Thanks for examples and pointers.

Since I came from Lisp, it never occurred to me that let and lambda
are different constructs in Haskell.
I thought that
    let x = y in f
is really
    (\x -> f) y
It turns out that let is about declarations which are not the same as
function applications above.

So, here is a little followup for this experiment.

Prelude> :t (\f -> (f 42, f True))

<interactive>:1:10:
    No instance for (Num Bool)
      arising from the literal `42' at <interactive>:1:10-11
    Possible fix: add an instance declaration for (Num Bool)
    In the first argument of `f', namely `42'
    In the expression: f 42
    In the expression: (f 42, f True)

If I understand correctly, compiler first checks f 42, and deduces
that f must be of type (Num a) => a -> b.
Then it checks f True, and it does not satisfy the previously deduced
type for f, because type of True is not in Num class.

This works:

Prelude> :t (\f -> (f 42, f 41.9))
(\f -> (f 42, f 41.9)) :: (Fractional t1) => (t1 -> t) -> (t, t)

It just managed to deduce a type for f :: (Fractional t1) => (t1 -> t)

And this, of course, works:

Prelude> let f = id in (f 42, f True)
(42,True)

If I understand correctly again, it happens because f is a definition,
which gets substituted to f 42 and to f True.