[Haskell-cafe] Will GHC 6.14 with LLVM use LLVM C compiler to compile external C Libraries

David Terei dave.terei at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 03:11:08 EDT 2010

2010/9/10 kyra <kyrab at mail.ru>:
> I wonder if llvm-gcc supports it's own (gcc) extensions. If it supports then
> there is no need to stuck in clang right now.

It doesn't support the one I mentioned before of global register
variables. I haven't looked for a while so maybe this has changed but
llvm-gcc used to incorrectly claim that it supported this feature
simply because it supported the syntax. The actual implementation of
the extension doesn't work anything like gcc though so most code using
the feature will break if compiled with llvm-gcc. Global register
variables needs backend support (e.g register allocator) to be
implemented so llvm-gcc and clang are in the same boat here, both not
supporting it.