[Haskell-cafe] problems using macports?

S. Doaitse Swierstra doaitse at swierstra.net
Thu Sep 9 11:38:40 EDT 2010

I am in my yearly fightto get a working combination of operating system (Snow Leopard), compiler version (6.12) , wxWidgets and wxHaskell on my Mac .
After deleting most of my stuff, starting afresh, hours of building using macports etc. I finally get the message:

loeki:Opgave doaitse$ ghc --make Turtle.hs
[1 of 1] Compiling Main             ( Turtle.hs, Turtle.o )
Linking Turtle ...
Undefined symbols:
  "_iconv_open", referenced from:
      _hs_iconv_open in libHSbase-4.2.0.2.a(iconv.o)
     (maybe you meant: _hs_iconv_open)
  "_iconv", referenced from:
      _hs_iconv in libHSbase-4.2.0.2.a(iconv.o)
     (maybe you meant: _hs_iconv_open, _hs_iconv , _hs_iconv_close )
  "_iconv_close", referenced from:
      _hs_iconv_close in libHSbase-4.2.0.2.a(iconv.o)
     (maybe you meant: _hs_iconv_close)
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
loeki:Opgave doaitse$

Some Googling showed me that the same problem has shown up with Yi,  The solution however is not there. Can someone enlighten me.

 Doaitse