[Haskell-cafe] recommendations for reading list?

Николай Кудасов crazy.fizruk at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 19:05:49 EDT 2010

Hi, Dave!

Consider this book:

*Basic Category Theory for Computer Scientists (Foundations of
Computing)<http://www.amazon.com/Category-Computer-Scientists-Foundations-Computing/dp/0262660717>--
*Benjamin C.Pierce

This is at the moment the only book about category theory I've read, but it
was easy for me as for programmer rather than mathematician to understand
most of the stuff. Now I am reading "Categories for the Working
Mathematician" and just can't go further 50-60 pages, cause for
understanding rest of the book I must understand examples given in the book,
and those are mainly from group theory, topology and functional analysis. As
I am slightly familiar with any, first I need to learn some other
mathematics.
So if you are rather programmer than mathematician, I think you'd better
start with book I mentioned above. Otherwise you should stock up with lots
of books about less abstract mathematics =)

With best regards,
Nick