[Haskell-cafe] Re: ANNOUNCE: grammar-combinators 0.1 (initial release): A parsing library of context-free grammar combinators

Johannes Waldmann waldmann at imn.htwk-leipzig.de
Wed Sep 8 07:49:32 EDT 2010

> .. grammar-combinator library's approach ..

am I reading this correctly: in the traditional combinator approach,
a grammer (a parser) is a Haskell value,
while in your approach, the grammar is a Haskell (GAD)type?

then you'll get more static guarantees (e.g., context-freeness)
but you need extra (type-level, or even syntax-level) machinery
to handle grammars. Convince me that it's worth it ...

I guess the proper solution (TM) is to blur the distiction
between types and values by switching to dependent types altogether...

J.W.