[Haskell-cafe] Re: Paralelism and Distribution in Haskell

Johannes Waldmann waldmann at imn.htwk-leipzig.de
Tue Sep 7 04:11:03 EDT 2010

Mathew de Detrich <deteego <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Haskell is still by far one of the best languages
> to deal with concurrency/parallelism.

Sure, I fully agree.

I am using concurrency (with explicit forkIO, communication via Chan)
a lot (my Haskell application controls several external constraint solvers).

For parallelism, I'm just missing some benchmark code
that I can run on my machine (i7 CPU, GTX 295 GPU, ghc-6.12.3)
more or less "out-of-the-box" and that will impress my students and myself.
(That is, get a speed-up of 8, or 480, without the program
looking 8 times (or 480 times) more ugly...)

- Johannes.