[Haskell-cafe] overloaded list literals?

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 07:06:04 EDT 2010

Hello Johannes,

i had such idea several years ago and proposed to name class ListLike.
this class was finally implemented by John Goerzen and it does
everything we can w/o changing language

the main thing about literals is that they need to be recognized also
at left side of equations, so that

length (s:xs) = 1 + length xs
length []     = 0

will work for ByteStrings and arrays like it work for list. if it will
be implemented, then most programs manipulating on lists/strings, can
be converted to more efficient ones simply by replacing imports

Haskell 1.0 views may be the way to go, virtually converting other
containers to lists, back and forth. of course, only if these virtual
conversions will be optimized away by smart compiler