[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: Haddock version 2.8.0 -> HTML vs. XHTML

Henning Thielemann schlepptop at henning-thielemann.de
Mon Sep 6 05:40:54 EDT 2010

Mark Lentczner schrieb:

> The choice to generate Haddock output as XHTML 1.0 Transitional and Frames, stored into files with an extension of .html, and that would likely be served as text/html, was mine and I did so with review of current best practices. The output Haddock now generates renders correctly and consistently in all browses in use by the Haskell community (Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera, IE 6, IE 7, and IE 8), the Javascript is handled properly, and with one minor exception[1] it validates as served by the W3C.

I use KDE's Konqueror, which I like much more than Firefox, because it
allows me to easily browse between WWW and local files, shows
highlighted source code, disk consumption of directories, dia shows etc.
In my opinion focusing on a small set of assumed popular browsers and
complying to their quirks is the wrong way. It seems to me that browsers
become popular because web authors choose to support their quirks and
bugs. It would be better if browsers would comply to the standards and
web authors do so as well.

All these incompatibilities between browsers and common abuse in HTML
and XHTML make it a nightmare for me to process web documents as in my
online web-site "enhancement" :-) service:

http://www.haskell.org.monadtransformer.parallelnetz.de/haskellwiki/Category:Monad