[Haskell-cafe] help me evangelize haskell.

Vo Minh Thu noteed at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 13:01:22 EDT 2010

2010/9/4 Michael Litchard <michael at schmong.org>:
> I'll be starting a new job soon as systems tool guy. The shop is a
> perl shop as far as internal automation tasks go. But I am fortunate
> to not be working with bigots. If they see a better way, they'll take
> to it. So please give me your best arguments in favor of using haskell
> for task automation instead of perl, or awk or any of those scripting
> lanugages.

Hi,

At a talk presented during a Ghent FPG meeting, someone explained how
they brought Ocaml to the work place. Basically, they made a drop-in
replacement for a C++ (or maybe was it C) library. Less code, same or
above performance.

Maybe they had also a good reason to rewrite the library (because it
was too big, or too difficult to maintain), not just as a proof that
Ocaml was better suited.

I guess that in your case, "Perl for internal automation task", you
should find some little tool for which it would be acceptable to
dedicate some time rewriting it in Haskell.

Tell us how all this unfolds.

Cheers,
Thu