[Haskell-cafe] HDBC-postgresql and safe/unsafe FFI calls

Leon Smith leon.p.smith at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 04:24:47 EDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 1:00 AM, David Powell <david at drp.id.au> wrote:
> Thanks Jason, I think I had read that - I quite enjoy Edward's posts.
> Re-reading, seems to confirm what I thought, most (all?) of the FFI calls in
> HDBC-postgresql should be changed to "safe".

Wouldn't that require thread safety on the part of libpq?   Versions
8.4 and earlier requires the library to be configured with the option
--enable-thread-safety,  although version 9.0 has thread safety turned
on by default.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/libpq-threading.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/libpq-threading.html

At least the Ubuntu PostgreSQL 8.4 packages are compiled with thread
safety,  but I can't speak for other distributions.

Best,
Leon