[Haskell-cafe] Yi on Windows

Jeff Wheeler wheele11 at illinois.edu
Wed Oct 13 17:31:52 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 2:54 AM, Peter Marks <peter at indigomail.net> wrote:

> What should I see when Yi loads? If my config file is broken, where should I
> see errors? The debug option didn't produce anything useful.

I'd expect it in one of three places:

1. In a buffer inside Yi when it launches using the default config.
(I'm guessing this isn't the case for you if you haven't seen the
error messages, but it'd be in a buffer called "*errors*" if present.
It theoretically should open as the default buffer.)

2. I don't think this should happen, but dyre /may/ make a file
yi.errors in ~/.yi/, next to your config file.

3. It might just print it to the console, but that's not happening
here, or you would have seen it.

> After starting up, the help option does open my config, so I think it is in
> the right place. This is Windows 7 if that makes any difference.

I'm not sure; I've never tried installing much Haskell on my Windows
machine, so I haven't tested Yi on it. I think somebody worked on it a
while back, but I'm not sure if they succeeded (or if it still
theoretically works).

> I'm happy to take a look at the source, any suggestions where I should
> start?

Interfacing with the dyre config loader occurs in src/Yi/Boot.hs, but
there's also some interesting stuff related to starting up in
src/Yi/Main.hs. The dyre package provides the primary entry-point, and
calls Yi.Main.main with the relevant config when it's ready to start.
Yi.Boot instructs dyre on how to work with configs for yi.

Best of luck, and thanks for playing with Yi!

-Jeff

--
Jeff Wheeler

Undergraduate, Electrical Engineering