[Haskell-cafe] Re: Re: Make your Darcs repositories hashed?

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Wed Oct 13 13:48:51 EDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 4:41 PM, Ben Franksen <ben.franksen at online.de>wrote:

> Jason Dagit wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 2:02 PM, Ben Franksen
> > <ben.franksen at online.de>wrote:
> >
> >> One minor but important note: the hashed format is *not* readable with a
> >> darcs-1 program:
> >
> > Sorry about that.  The support for hashed repos existed long before 2.0
> > was released and so I misremembered the hashed support as appearing in a
> > 1.x release.
> >
> > It looks like you need at least 2.0 to read darcs 1 hashed repos.
> >
> > Upgrading to a modern darcs client is advised and is only a 'cabal
> install
> > darcs' away.  I was under the impression that even debian stable has
> moved
> > on to 2.x releases.  How is it that you have a 1.0.9 release candidate
> > client still?
>
> Have you ever worked at a public institution? I recommend the
> experience... ;-)

Heh.  I once was a junior sysadmin at a university.  Yes, sometimes the
software people used was old.

> Seriously, the server is a debian etch (!) system. Also called "debian
> old-stable". Of course I have long since installed newer version of darcs,
> but since I am not root there I cannot put it into /usr/local, so I cannot
> completely rule out the possibility that other users still use the
> ancient /usr/bin/darcs and will now have problems when they darcs get.

Isn't debian etch a security liability at this point?

> I do _not_ expect that this will lead to any serious trouble, as the latest
> stable darcs is just a small addition to the PATH away. Still, users should
> be warned that darcs-2.x is required.

Yes, sorry about that.  At the time I was having some trouble
finding authoritative info on it so I went with my memory, which was wrong.

As for your path, I'm reasonably confident that if you put your local darcs
at the front of your path then you're good to go.  I know that works for
local push, what I'm wondering about is push over ssh.  It seems easy for
you to test in this case.  I know darcs finds the right executable by
looking in PATH for 'darcs'.  What I can't know is whether the server you're
using lets you set PATH over ssh invocations that are non-interactive.  It's
entirely possible that has been disallowed by the sysadmins.

And again, darcs-2.x is installed on the haskell.org machine in question.

Jason