[Haskell-cafe] Haskellers.com recent changes (and I need some volunteers)

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Mon Oct 11 01:45:43 EDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 5:59 AM, Mark Lentczner <markl at glyphic.com> wrote:
> On Oct 10, 2010, at 10:56 AM, Michael Snoyman wrote:
>> I'm worried about spam accounts being featured on
>> the homepage. Real Haskeller is not meant to be exclusive, it's a
>> minimal level of oversight by the admins.
>
> A more common approach to the problem of spam accounts -- which is very real -- is to not allow accounts to appear before they have been vetted by an admin. Allowing accounts to appear on the site as they are created will, sooner or later, result in the site being over run with spam faster than you can keep up.
>
> For the community site I help run (http://www.contextfreeart.org/) had this problem a while back and we switched to all accounts being vetted. We use http://www.stopforumspam.com/ as source of information to easily help us make that determination.

That may very well be the direction we need to take it. For the
moment, since spam has *not* been a problem yet, I've erred on the
side of being too liberal. But if necessary, I can convert the "real
Haskeller" status to indicate whether an account is shown at all or
not.

However, this may never be necessary: I'm not sure how much it bothers
me that a spam account could appear at the very bottom of the search
listings. And the feeling on this list seems to be for *less* admin
control, not more. But as I said, all options such as this are in
reserve.

Michael