[Haskell-cafe] Ordering vs. Order

Christian Sternagel c.sternagel at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 04:02:20 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I'm not a native English speaker and recently I was wondering about the
two words "order" and "ordering" (the main reason why I write this to
the Haskell mailing list, is that the type class "Ordering" does exist).

My dictionaries tell me that "order" (besides other meanings) denotes an
ordered structure on elements and "ordering" (as only meaning) denotes
some request that I made at some entity. So, to me it seems that calling
the type class "Ordering" is wrong ;)

However, I do know that there are many publications about "ordered
structures" which use the word "ordering" (most of which I'm aware of,
not by native speakers).

What do native speakers have to say about that?

best regards

chris