happstack-ixset internals/performance (was Re: [Haskell-cafe] Inverse of HaskellDB)

Jeremy Shaw jeremy at n-heptane.com
Sat Oct 2 19:22:33 EDT 2010

Hello,

Check out these threads:

http://groups.google.com/group/happs/browse_thread/thread/23d92e45c99f88b1
http://groups.google.com/group/happs/browse_thread/thread/0b0d0a9158c3ad73

There is nothing inherently wrong with keeping 28GB of real data in
memory.  It depends largely on what you are trying to optimize for..

For personal hobby projects, the cost of hosting the project seems to
be the biggest expense that people are concerned worth. (Which is
quite reasonable). As a result people are willing to increase
development time, and sacrifice performance in order lower hosting
costs. (Also reasonable).

For commercial projects, the costs look different. For example, if
buying a server with 1TB of RAM (around $80,000 these days) means they
can hire one less developer (at $150,000/year when you look at total
cost of salary, benefits, etc), then that is a savings of $70,000.
Additionally, in RAM storage provides much more predictable
performance. If you have ever attempted to use a site like reddit
after its memcached servers have been reset, it is clear how bad the
penalties for hitting disk are. RAM is significantly faster and than
disk and has no seek time. RAM can achieve 100-1000x less latency and
higher throughput.

Facebook reportedly keeps as much as 80-90% of their working dataset
in memcached. In 2008 they had 28TB of memcached servers. No idea what
they are up to now
(http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=39391378919).

Of course, there are datasets which are simply too big to be stored in
RAM. For example, google's search index. I am not that familiar with
their approach, but I believe they go the opposite extreme. They
likely assume that every query is going to hit the disk, and optimize
the system so that it can provide acceptable response even if nothing
is cached ? (I am totally guessing here).

The focus of the new IxSet internals is to help bring the indexing
overhead ratio down (and increase speed at the same time).

There are also some ideas, but not code, for how to build an
IxSet-like structure which stores the keys in RAM, but can store the
values of disk. That would, hopefully, give you the ease of use of
IxSet, but with lower memory requirements if your keys are
significantly smaller than the total value payload. The trade off
being that you get back into the ugly work of disk seeks :)

There was also some experimental work done where the values were
stored in RAM, but in their serialized byte format, under the
assumption that the serialized format is a lot more compact than the
normal representation. The trade off is that the values must be
deserialized everytime they are used, which requires more CPU. A more
complex version could be imagined, where the deserialized version is
cached for some period of time. Whether that is actually beneficial
can only be determined empirically I think...

So, clearly happstack-state is not the optimal choice for all haskell
web applications. And that is why it is a completely independent from
happstack-server. We do want to allow people to pick the best choice
for their application. Of course, if we want to provide off-the-shelf
components like a user account system -- then eventually we have to
nail down some specifics, such as the persistence layer. But those
choices would only apply to code that wants to use those optional
components.

At the same time, happstack-state is a very interesting and
challenging library to work on. The recent rise in popularity of
things like redis seems to validate happstack-state somewhat.

- jeremy