[Haskell-cafe] Re: Unable to install packages

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Sun Nov 28 15:55:15 CET 2010

Joachim Breitner <mail at joachim-breitner.de> writes:

> I would not recommend using --global on Debian/Ubuntu-systems, as it
> might interfere with packages installed by Debian.

But 'cabal install --global' installs in /usr/local/, does it not?
And official packages (i.e. debs) put stuff in /usr, so these would be
separate.

> And I wonder if they really need the very latest versions of alex and
> happy (Debian is one or two minor versions behind) or whether apt-get
> install alex happy would suffice...

It would be nice if cabal could be aware of OS package managers, and
suggest this as an option - or be configured to just use the OS package
by default, as long as it provides the requried versions.

-k