[Haskell-cafe] Downloading web page in Haskell

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Sat Nov 20 20:11:06 EST 2010

Albert Y. C. Lai wrote:
> ...truncates when the web server chooses the identity encoding
> The server chooses identity when
> your request's Accept-Encoding field specifies identity or simply your
> request has no Accept-Encoding field

Excellent work!

> My methodology of discovering and confirming this is a great lesson in the
> triumph of the scientific methodology (over the prevailing opinionative
> methodology, for example).

Haha, indeed!

> Actually the
> truncation strongly suggests that javascript is not involved: the truncation
> ends with an incomplete end-tag "</". This is abnormal even for very buggy
> javascript-heavy web pages.

Well, no, the theory was that the server sends some random
number of bytes from the body to ensure that the browser
starts loading the scripts in the head. So it could stop anywhere.

In the end, I think you didn't really need the W3C validator.
You also could have triangulated on the headers sent by your
own browser.

So, there you have it, folks. The Haskell community debugs
a broken web server, without being asked, and without access
to the server.