[Haskell-cafe] GHC 6.12 on OS X 10.5

Thomas Schilling nominolo at googlemail.com
Sat May 8 10:10:35 EDT 2010

Building from source alone didn't help, but building from source
together with the following extra lines to .cabal/config worked:

extra-lib-dirs: /usr/lib
extra-lib-dirs: /opt/local/lib

This is not an ideal solution because this means that any OS X library
will shadow the corresponding Macports library.  This could lead to
problems if you use a Macports library that has several dependencies
one of which is shadowed.

HTH

On 7 May 2010 22:42, Jason Dagit <dagit at codersbase.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 9:03 AM, Aaron Tomb <atomb at galois.com> wrote:

>>> Is this a problem with *versions* of iconv, or with branches/forks? If
>>> it's versions, then it seems like migrating to >=1.13 would be good for
>>> everyone. If it's just branches, do you know whether this afflicts Fink
>>> users as well as MacPorts users, or should I be the guinea pig to test that?
>>
>> It's a problem with versions. I checked that the official iconv repository
>> does indeed make the change between 1.11 and 1.13 that causes the problem.
>> The issue is that OS X includes an old version. So migrating to >=1.13 means
>> convincing Apple to upgrade what they include with the system. If we can
>> accomplish that, I'd be thrilled. But it hasn't happened yet as of 10.6.
>>
>> Fink comes with 1.12. I'm not sure whether 1.12 is more like 1.11 or 1.13.
>
> Resurrecting an old thread.
>
> I would like to find out:
>   1. Has there been any update on how to workaround this?
>   2. Does building 6.12 from macports (or from source on a macports enabled
> system) fix the problem?
>
> It seems like more than just GHC is affected by this, but I'm having trouble
> digging up solid information on the web about how to workaround it.  Many
> sources (such as stackoverflow) point to this thread so posting a solution
> here would be a win.
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

Push the envelope.  Watch it bend.