[Haskell-cafe] Haskell and scripting

Limestraël limestrael at gmail.com
Mon May 3 18:45:44 EDT 2010

Thank you all, that's very interesting.

Martin, I've started reading the paper, I like the way you think about what
a scripting language should provide ("traceability, error handling and a
type system").
But, hold me if I'm wrong, but at no moment in the paper you made you own
language? It's a EDSL, not a DSL, so I don't see where is the scripting,
since the program will always have to be recompiled, won't it?

Minh, Kyle, Gwern, the dyre approach seems to be very interesting too.
But if I understood well, we also have to recompile at run-time the
configuration haskell script?
So the final application (Yi, for instance) will need GHC to be installed to
run? Or did I miss something?
By the way, I had never heard of Yi, but can I deduce from its name its a
Vi(m)-like (which I am a big fan of)? Moreover, the idea of scripting my
editor in Haskell appeals me.