[Haskell-cafe] Cabal-install: bus error

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Mon May 3 17:46:42 EDT 2010

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 2:21 PM, Chris Eidhof <chris at eidhof.nl> wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> After I upgraded to a newer cabal-install my cabal-install broke again: I
> get a Bus Error when doing "cabal update" or "cabal install something". The
> version that was bundled with the Haskell platform worked fine, but now it's
> broken again. I'm not sure what it was that went wrong or how to debug this.

This happened to a co-worker on her mac.  We used gdb to track the bus
errors to the network library.  Once we tracked it down to there, we did
some combination of deleting $HOME/.cabal, building/installing the latest
version of Network and then relinking cabal-install.  I've also seen these
errors with some versions of zlib (but, I think that was on an old Solaris
box that had lots of issues).

I don't think my co-worker has had issues since upgrading to GHC 6.12.

> The previous time I had Bus Errors I upgraded to the newest available
> Haskell Platform release and started from scratch. I would prefer not to do
> that again. However, I don't really know how to solve the Bus Error. Does
> anyone have a clue where to start? Or is there a way to undo my
> cabal-install upgrade?

Well, you could try removing $HOME/.cabal (make a backup first?), and then
rebuild re-install cabal-install and it's dependencies.

You might also spend some time running cabal-install inside gdb to see where
it's crashing and report back what you find out.

I hope that helps,
Jason