[Haskell-cafe] Two Google Summer of Code project proposals

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 06:58:40 EDT 2010

Hi,

I'd like to advertise two Google Summer of Code projects that I recently
added to the list [1] of proposed projects:

  Improve Cabal's test support
  http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code/ticket/1581

  Proper test support is essential for good software quality. By
  improving Cabal's test support we can test all Cabal packages
  on continuous build machines which should help us detect
  breakages earlier. Making it easier to run the tests means that
  more people will run them and those who already do will run the
  more often.

and

  A high-performance HTML combinator library using Data.Text
  http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code/ticket/1580

  Being both fast and safe, Haskell would make a great
  replacement for e.g. Python and Ruby for server
  applications. However, good library support for web
  applications is sorely missing. To write web applications you
  need at least three components: a web application server, a
  data storage layer, and an HTML generation library. The goal of
  this project is to address the last of the three, as the two
  are already getting some attention from other Haskell
  developers.

I encourage any interested students to have a look at the two proposals (and
the other proposals on the list) and sign up for GSoC on Trac (or with
Edward Kmett if Trac is still having issues).

1. http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code/report/1

Cheers,
Johan