[Haskell-cafe] Re: If wishes were horses...

Ben Millwood haskell at benmachine.co.uk
Sun Mar 14 12:28:42 EDT 2010

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 3:19 AM, wren ng thornton <wren at freegeek.org> wrote:

> The usual approach I've seen is not to distinguish strict and lazy
> datatypes, but rather to distinguish strict and lazy functions, e.g. by
> having two different arrows: (->) for lazy functions and (!->) for strict
> ones.[1]

But what about the laziness properties of e.g. the maybe function?

ghci> maybe undefined id (Just ())
()
ghci> maybe () undefined Nothing
()
ghci> maybe undefined id Nothing
*** Exception: Prelude.undefined
ghci> maybe () undefined (Just ())
*** Exception: Prelude.undefined

It's clear that no type signature for maybe is going to tell you about
all these cases. It's similarly impossible to imagine a type signature
that will tell you that take 3 is strict up to the third nested cons
of the input list, and no further. In general, laziness behaviour can
get complicated quickly and so I'm not convinced that the type
signature is a good home for that information.

I suppose a function arrow that had the same effect as putting a !
pattern on the parameter to its left might not be a bad thing
(although we could argue about the exact syntax and representation, as
imo !-> is neither intuitively obvious nor aesthetically pleasing),
but it's never going to make seq and ! patterns (which can be applied
on a single equation rather than the whole function, and in
nested/lambda bindings) and so forth redundant.