[Haskell-cafe] Re: Using the ContT monads for early exits of IO ?

Ertugrul Soeylemez es at ertes.de
Wed Jun 16 22:07:41 EDT 2010

Hello Günther,

I use ContT monads for early exit often, because that's one of the
things they encode naturally.  But I don't do this with callCC.  I
prefer monadLib over mtl/transformers, which has a specific function for
that:

  abort :: (AbortM m i) => i -> m a

where AbortM is a class for monads, whose computations are abortable.
All ContT monads are instances.  This is also a nice way to break out of
'forever'.

Using an error monad (like Maybe) may be more natural of course.

Greets,
Ertugrul

http://blog.ertes.de/