[Haskell-cafe] build and use ghc's rts without a full unregistered ghc port?

Mark Wotton mwotton at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 06:51:39 EDT 2010

can't speak as to how difficult it is to get GHC built unregisterised,
but you might want to consider JHC if you don't need to use a lot of
Hackage. It compiles to C without a special RTS needed, which might
make it a lot easier.

mark

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 8:45 PM, Korcan Hussein <korcan_h at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I was just wondering if this is possible, I would like to use a gcc port
> which cross compiles to the PPC architecture (Wii DevkitPPC to be specifically:
> http://wiibrew.org/wiki/DevkitPPC) for a platform that is not POSIX compatible I
> believe (at least not fully or maybe I'm wrong entirely).
>
> Ideally I would make an unregistered port of GHC but the problem is because GHC
> doesn't support true cross compiling yet I need to bootstrap on to the target
> machine, which isn't running a POSIX environment.
>
> Still I did try to attempt to build with both the host and target set to
> 'powerpc-unknown-linux' and build it with devkitPPC, I did use a custom build.mk
> which should pull in all the required dependencies, defines, etc for devkitPPC.
>
> In the end I didn't get very far with it, it looked like missing posix functions.
>
> I didn't want to spend to much time trying to make it work this way (maybe i'm
> doing it wrong completely). It's quite possible that I could make this work more
> easily if I used a linux port for the wii but I would like to avoid the need of
> using linux on the wii because I guess most home-brew users don't have such a setup.
>
> So I thought maybe it's possible with less effort to build GHC's RTS and then
> compile Haskell in C with the RTS as a library dependency. Is this possible?
> maybe I'm missing something or doing something stupid?
>
> Thanks in advance.

A UNIX signature isn't a return address, it's the ASCII equivalent of a
black velvet clown painting. It's a rectangle of carets surrounding a
quote from a literary giant of weeniedom like Heinlein or Dr. Who.
        -- Chris Maeda