[Haskell-cafe] philosophy of Haskell

Alberto G. Corona agocorona at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 13:57:38 EDT 2010

I did`nt care about the underlying theory behind monads once I learn that
the easy way to understand them is trough desugarization. Desugarize the
"do" notation, after that, desugarize the >>= and >>  operators down to the
function call notation and suddenly everithing lost its magic because it
becomes clear that a haskell monad is a sugarization of plain  functional
tricks.

But it seems that the trick is so productive because it comes from some
fundamental properties of math, the reality, and maybe the human mind . Jost
now I found this article:

Categorial Compositionality: A Category Theory Explanation for the
Systematicity of Human
Cognition<http://www.ploscompbiol.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pcbi.1000858?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+ploscompbiol/NewArticles+(PLoS+Computational+Biology:+New+Articles)>

That definitively gives me the motivation to learn category theory
seriously.

Alberto