[Haskell-cafe] Proper Handling of Exceptional IEEE Floating Point Numbers

Casey McCann syntaxglitch at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 13:38:10 EDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 3:21 AM, Barak A. Pearlmutter <barak at cs.nuim.ie> wrote:
>> ... An invalid comparison evaluating to _|_ is arguably more
>> correct, but I personally find the idea of introducing more bottoms
>> rather distasteful.
>
> Too late!  NaN is pretty much the _|_ of IEEE Floating Point.

Yes, of course. But I don't have to like it...

What annoys me is that, conceptually, the silently-propagating NaNs
more strongly resemble Nothing, with the arithmetic functions lifted
into Maybe, Applicative-style. Likewise, comparisons could sensibly be
interpreted as returning Maybe Bool or Maybe Ordering. But there's no
good way to work that into Haskell without making floats incredibly
awkward to use.

> In the context of
> Haskell, which does not have the issue of needing to relax strictness
> just for NaN, I think the "right thing" would be to have compare give
> _|_, and maybe also <, >, ==.  After all, NaN is outside the carefully
> defined total ordering of all other IEEE floating point values
> including +/- Infinity.

The reason this makes me unhappy is that evaluating bottoms is a
terrible way to deal with error conditions in pure code. It also makes
using floating point values in generic code written for Ord dangerous,
because the generic code won't (and can't) do anything to check
whether calling compare will produce _|_ even if both arguments are
already known to be fully evaluated.

> (By the stringent criteria some people are giving for allowing
> something to be Eq and Ord, Char would also be stripped of them, since
> after all Char includes _|_.  Sort of.)

The difference, of course, is that getting _|_ as a result of using
_|_ is tolerable; getting _|_ as a result of using only non-_|_ values
makes me sad. To my mind, the fewer ways there are to accidentally
introduce _|_, the better.

- C.