[Haskell-cafe] Re: Hackage accounts and real names

Serguey Zefirov sergueyz at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 07:08:43 EDT 2010

2010/4/6  <roma at ro-che.info>:
> On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 20:06:27 +1000, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
> <ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I've been over this thread and couldn't see anywhere where you'd made
>>> an attempt to refute these arguments, so I guess you take them as
>>> solid. On the other hand, every argument put forward by the
>>> pro-restriction group has been picked at and argued against by those
>>> against the restriction. That is not a stalemate.
>>
>> A stalemate occurs when people disagree rather than one side having more
>> compelling arguments.  For example, I understand and respect your
>> arguments; I just don't find them compelling enough (since I find it a
>> pain trying to match up different nicks, etc.; though this is to do with
>> the inconsistency you mention above).
> So, what's next? Ban anyone hiding behind a nickname on the mailing list?
> On IRC? On wiki?
> This will bring you consistency. As a side effect, it will bring to the
> Haskell
> community the fame of being one of the most inadequate open source
> communities.

http://lambda-the-ultimate.org is one lovely community that has that
restriction: http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/policies#Policies

Actually, it's one of the best communities I know. I also think that
many haskell-cafe readers agree on that.

I also think that what is appropriate for mailing list is not
appropriate for collective blog or site like hackage.