[Haskell-cafe] Re: Hackage accounts and real names

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 06:06:27 EDT 2010

David House <dmhouse at gmail.com> writes:
> 2. Inconsistency. If someone is known by their pseudonym on the
> mailing list, IRC, haskellwiki, blogs and so on, that is how I know
> them. How am I meant to find out their real name, in general? The rest
> of the internet works off pseudonyms and it is more convenient for
> everyone if hackage follows suit.

And yet this is inconsistency remains regardless: people use different
aliases on IRC to the mailing list to Hackage (though I think this is
mainly because they have old IRC nicks they still use for internal
consistency).

> I've been over this thread and couldn't see anywhere where you'd made
> an attempt to refute these arguments, so I guess you take them as
> solid. On the other hand, every argument put forward by the
> pro-restriction group has been picked at and argued against by those
> against the restriction. That is not a stalemate.

A stalemate occurs when people disagree rather than one side having more
compelling arguments.  For example, I understand and respect your
arguments; I just don't find them compelling enough (since I find it a
pain trying to match up different nicks, etc.; though this is to do with
the inconsistency you mention above).

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com