[Haskell-cafe] Re: Libraries for Commercial Users

Iain Barnett iainspeed at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 00:58:30 EDT 2009

On 25 Oct 2009, at 03:42, Curt Sampson wrote:

> There's the key difference between us, I suppose. You believe that
> knowing the syntax and libraries of a language is the hardest part
> of a
> programming project. I believe it's a nearly trivial part.

I certainly didn't say that. Do you always misrepresent someone
else's argument to help make a point? Perhaps if you took a minute to
take in what I wrote before you wouldn't need to go with the straw
man argument.

It's easy. You stick to your own points instead of recasting other
people's, try not to point out the obvious (it's got a compiler,
ffs!) and give me an example that isn't from a time when Oasis
actually made good records (I'll give you a clue, they only made one,
and it was their first). One that involves Haskell would be good,
handling Twitter-esque traffic would be even better. Since of course,
the next Twitter could never be done in ROR even though the current
one was.

Think of it as dealing with facts instead of looking down your nose
at all those mentally challenged PHP developers - the C++ and Perl
guys have all that sneering covered for you, why bother? Perl6 is
going to be better than everything anyway.

On 25 Oct 2009, at 00:48, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

> Twitter's also a steaming mess *now*.  Would it be as bad if you
> could prove its correctness?

But they're using a compiler now ;)  Joking aside, it seems to work
better and more often for me than Facebook, and they're using Haskell
as part of their development. They say it's because Haskell has "good
parsing libraries", so maybe library choice does attract business.

http://github.com/facebook/lex-pass/blob/master/README

Iain