[Haskell-cafe] Test cases for type inference

Job Vranish jvranish at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 10:47:00 EDT 2009

I was recently working on an type inference algorithm and to test it I did
the following:
  Used the quickcheck Arbitrary typeclass to generate expressions
  Inferred types of the expressions using my algorithm,
  converted the expressions that passed inference to haskell and wrote them
to a file (without type signatures)
  converted and wrote the failed expression to a separate file
  compiled the "passed" file with -Wall, and extracted all the type
signatures that were spit out as warnings
  parsed the type signatures that -Wall spit out and compare with the
signatures generated by my algorithm.
  compiled the "failed" file and make sure I get type errors for all my
expressions

My algorithm also infers infinite types (which haskell does not) so I had to
test that functionality manually.

Overall it was kinda messy, but it worked ok.

I could possibly send you one of my lists. My test expressions are all very
simple, no type classes, only 2 types (function and number), and the only
expression components are let, lambda, apply, identifier, and number. If
something like that would work, let me know.

Hope that helps,

- Job