[Haskell-cafe] Could someone teach me why we use Data.Monoid?

Stephen Tetley stephen.tetley at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 14:44:00 EST 2009

Hi Edward

Many thanks.

I've mostly used groupoid for 'string concatenation' on types that I
don't consider to have useful empty (e.g PostScript paths, bars of
music...), as string concatenation is associative it would have been
better if I'd used semigroup in the first place (bounding box union
certainly looks associative to me as well).

Are magma and semigroup exclusive, i.e. in the presence of both a
Magma class and a Semigroup class would it be correct  that Magma
represents only 'magma-op' where op isn't associative and Semigroup
represents 'semigroup-op' where the op is associative?

When I decided to use a Groupoid class, I was being a bit lazy-minded
and felt it could represent a general binary op that _doesn't have to
be_ associative but potentially could be.

Thanks again

Stephen