[Haskell-cafe] Re: OT: Languages

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Sun May 10 00:44:58 EDT 2009

Kalman Noel wrote:
> wren ng thornton schrieb:
> > Chris Forno (jekor) wrote:
> > > That being said, Esperanto, and even Japanese sentence structure perhaps
> > > is not as different as an agglutinative language like German. I'll need
> > > to study it more to find out.
> > Actually, Japanese is agglutinative too (moreso than German is).
>
> I take it the above calling German agglutinative was sort of a typo,
> because well, it isn't, except having many compound words.

Indeed. The proliferation of compound words is noteworthy, but it's not
generally considered an agglutinative language. From what (very little)
German I know compounds tend to be restricted to nouns, as opposed to
languages like Turkish, Japanese, Korean,...

> Esperanto, on
> the other hand, is usually described as agglutinative.

I'll take your word for it :)

--
Live well,
~wren