[Haskell-cafe] Is Haskell a Good Choice for Web Applications? (ANN: Vocabulink)

FFT fft1976 at gmail.com
Wed May 6 23:40:53 EDT 2009

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 8:20 PM, Anton van Straaten
<anton at appsolutions.com> wrote:

> The app is written for a client under NDA, so a blog about it would have to
> be annoyingly vague.

> No doubt the potential for encountering space leaks goes up as one writes
> less pure code, persist more things in memory, and depend on more libraries.

Exactly. I'm worried about, e.g. needing to use something as simple as
a stream of prime numbers (see the recent thread about leaks there)

>  My main point in mentioning my app is that "long-running" isn't really the
> issue - that's just a way of saying that an app has space leaks that are
> small enough not to be noticed until it's stressed.

An internal web site with few benign users is one thing, but if it's
an external web site, it might get stressed in ways different from
your expected usage scenarios, if you know what I mean.

> To put this back into context, I was objecting to your having extended the
> space leak worrying to all GC'd languages.

I agree.