[Haskell-cafe] Is Haskell a Good Choice for Web Applications? (ANN: Vocabulink)

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at theingots.org
Mon May 4 05:51:29 EDT 2009

Hi Chris,

Thanks. This should be interesting. I currently work as a web developer
and I've been wondering how easy or hard it would be to develop web
applications with Haskell. So I'll be interested in reading our article.

On a separate topic, I also took a glance at vocabulink.com. I'm
interested in languages (I am fluent in English and Spanish and speak
"advanced" German). I will have to disagree a bit with your pedagogy:

1) You say that grammar doesn't matter. Well, for some languages it
matters more than others. German, for example, has a very particular
word order that takes some effort to learn, and if you get it wrong
people really won't understand you. In German it's ok if you conjugate
wrong, but it's not ok if you put words in the wrong place. Second, some
people actually enjoy grammar better and find that grammar helps them
understand the language. I am one of those people. Different people
learn differently. I learn rules more easily than disconnected words.
When I learn vocabulary I do better by learning word families, and so
on. The Germanic languages rely heavily in word derivation (not so much
English) so that can be important for learners like me.

2) Your analysis of word count is flawed. Sure, most of the words you
read come from a very small vocabulary set, but most of the *meaning* in
a sentence comes from the more obscure words. Imagine that you read this
sentence: "In the newspaper I read that the __________ said that the
problem is that the river has too much ________ ".  In this sentence you
can understand 90% of the words, but you have almost no idea of what's
happening. What your word count test really shows is that human
languages have a lot of redundancy. You could omit the word "the" from
the above sentence and you would understand it almost as well. The word
"the" is common and contains very little information.

That said, do you have any stories in German? I can't figure out where
to get the stories.

Daniel.