[Haskell-cafe] [tryReadAdvChan :: AdvChan a -> IO (Maybe a)] problems

Neil Davies semanticphilosopher at googlemail.com
Sat May 2 02:53:58 EDT 2009

Belka

Now that you've got some metrics to know when you have a successful
design, start examining the trades.

Most systems have a turning point in their performance as load is
increased, you need manage the traffic so that the offered load does
not push the system over that point (or if it does, not for too long -
it doesn't have to be perfect all the time, just suitably good - this
is where stochastic come it, another story).

What you are doing here is trading efficient use of the infrastructure
(e.g. you are not going to try and run the servers close to 100%) for
responsive behaviour.

This is one of the reasons why people create multi-levelled web manage
architectures - you could think of the design as having an initial
stage that can analyse and identify the traffic an characterise it -
ideally it should be able to cope with line rate or at least a known
upper bound (which the load balancer in front knows and can be
configured for), it can then pass the real traffic on for processing.

This all comes down to creating back pressure: typically by mediating
between producer and consumer with a finite queue - then configuring
that queue to have the right length so that the back pressure is felt
at an appropriate point, too long and the experienced delay is too
large, too short and you are changing modes of behaviour too quickly -
again it that stochastics/queueing theory stuff.

Avoiding starvation is easy, FIFO service does that - but you'll find
that's not enough you also need to bound the service time for certain
requests people often think that 'priority' is the right answer but
usually that is too naive. Resources are finite, giving one source of
demand 'priority' means that the other sources loose out and that
trade is highly non-linear and creates its own denial-of-service.

Neil