[Haskell-cafe] Cabal and `main-is` field

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Mon Mar 2 17:10:26 EST 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 07:15 -0700, Denis Bueno wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 11:56, Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> > That's because it's a bug, not a feature. :-)
> >
> > Be careful of using this "feature" as we might fix it.
>
> I've wished for this feature, and have Cabal files right now that
> would be cleaner with it.  Is there something technically wrong or
> undesirable about this feature that necessitates "fixing"?

If it's supposed to work it should work consistently. It's a quirk that
to support old-style .cabal files we allow build-depends but not other
fields in the global section. If we do it properly we should either
allow all fields there, or perhaps in an explicit "common" section or
something.

I hope we can address this and related limitations and quirks in the
Cabal-1.8 development cycle. If you want to help out with that let me
know and I can give you some pointers.

Duncan