[Haskell-cafe] How to fork a process?

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Thu Jun 25 05:09:46 EDT 2009

On Jun 25, 2009, at 05:01 , Magicloud Magiclouds wrote:
>  In many language, both thread and process are supported. But in
> haskell's document, the only thing I could find called fork is to make
> a thread. So how to fork the program itself, like fork () in C?

Internal threads can be done reasonably portably (well, assuming you
don't look at the internals of the runtime :) but fork() is specific
to POSIX/Unix-like systems.  (I'm told you can emulate it on Windows
but it's neither fast nor easy; on most non-Unixlike systems the
native operation is to spawn a process running a new executable, and
cloning the current process is unusual at best.)

As such, forkProcess lives in System.Posix.Process, along with
executeFile (overlaying the current process's executable image is
likewise a Unixism) and other operations specific to the POSIX/Unix-
like process model.

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu