[Haskell-cafe] Re: Why binding to existing widget toolkits doesn't make any sense

Achim Schneider barsoap at web.de
Sat Jan 31 19:47:27 EST 2009

"Claus Reinke" <claus.reinke at talk21.com> wrote:

> though software fallbacks for missing hardware
> support would seem essential

You mean having widget renderers that don't use any of those frills,
don't you? Don't underestimate the breath of the target audience that
wants to run things on their sandwich maker... or have processing oomph
left to do real work.

I don't know how fast eg. mesa renders basic GL in software (at least
in comparison to my geForce, it's a slug), but I'd expect it to be a
viable choice to render 2d to a dumb framebuffer. GL has also the
advantage of being network-transparent[1] and very bandwidth-efficient,
at least if you make proper use of display lists and don't use too many
different textures. Presenting impressive demos in the spirit of [2]
can't have any negative effects (despite users wondering why it doesn't
work until they discover that their distribution starts X with
--nolisten-tcp)

[1]Really. See GLX.
[2]http://www.md.chalmers.se/Cs/Research/Functional/Fudgets/demoform.html