[Haskell-cafe] Re: Comments from OCaml Hacker Brian Hurt

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Mon Jan 19 04:50:10 EST 2009

david48 wrote:
> Apfelmus, Heinrich wrote:
>
>> Hm, what about the option of opening Bird's "Introduction on Functional
>> Programming using Haskell" in the section about fold? Monoid is on page
>> 62 in the translated copy I've got here.
>
>> I don't think that I would try to learn a programming language, for
>> example Python, without obtaining a paper book on it.
>
> I would, if the online documentation makes it possible, and then I
> would buy a paper book later, to go further or for reference.
> That's how I learned Haskell, and much later I've bought my first book.

Interesting, I wouldn't want to miss actual paper when learning
difficult topics. Also, some great resources like the contents of Bird's
book just aren't available online ;). I'd recommend to borrow it from a
library, though, the current amazon price is quite outrageous.

Regards,
apfelmus

--
http://apfelmus.nfshost.com