[Haskell-cafe] some ideas for Haskell', from Python

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 10:26:39 EST 2009

>>>   As an example:
>>>       foo = u"abc\N{VULGAR FRACTION ONE HALF}"
>>
>> Hmm, looks nice, and sensible. But as soon as you've got \N{....} syntax I want:
>>
>> "foo\E{show i}bar"
>>
>> i.e. embed expressions in strings. I think this would be fantastic.
>
> why not simpy "foo\E{i}bar" ?

What if i is a string? You'd get: foo"i"bar

Having different behaviour for string vs everything else would be equally bad.

>> joinPath' root name = import.System.FilePath.joinPath [root,name]
>>
>> i.e. doing an import and use at the same time.
>
> and why not simply System.FilePath.joinPath (without the import.) ?

That is the same as saying everything is always in scope but fully
qualified. I'd rather have to explicitly say which modules were being
used - I'm not sure my enhanced import idea is a good idea at all.

Thanks

Neil