[Haskell-cafe] Re: How do we decide on the new logo?

Achim Schneider barsoap at web.de
Sat Jan 3 01:00:23 EST 2009

Henning Thielemann <schlepptop at henning-thielemann.de> wrote:

> Achim Schneider schrieb:
>
> > Step 2: Determine the winner by polling preferences, same-level
> > preference (ambivalence) allowed
> > (eg. place 1 for logos C and D, place 2 for A and place 3 for B)
>
> We recently had to vote for the new design of our university's
> website. This was done by asking every voter for an order of
> preference, with no equal preferences allowed. However, when the
> maintainer of the voting system was asked, how these answers are
> processed, he didn't know an answer. I think he finally converted
> positions to scores and added them. However, I suspect in chosing the
> scores for each position, he had an essential influence of the
> outcome of the election.

I intended to sum up all scaled preferences for every logo, and take the
smallest one as the winner. "Scaled" meaning that every voter, in the
end, had the same total points to distribute... like in your system. I
like mine because it shifts the calculation burden from the voter to
the program doing the processing.

A vote of all 10's would be equivalent to a vote of all ones, and a
vote of just one one would be equivalent to a vote of one one and the
rest two's.