[Haskell-cafe] Re: The community is more important than the product

Benjamin L.Russell DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com
Wed Feb 25 02:14:42 EST 2009

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 15:59:54 -0800, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com>
wrote:

>http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Protect_the_community
>
>Random notes on how to maintain tone, focus and productivity in an
>online community I took a few years ago.
>
>Might be some material there if anyone's seeking to help ensure
>we remain a constructive, effective community.

To quote Simon Peyton-Jones (see the fourth unbolded paragraph in
"Computerworld - The A-Z of Programming Languages: Haskell" at
http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/261007/-z_programming_languages_haskell?pp=10);
viz.:

>What I’m really trying to say is that the fact Haskell hasn’t become a
>real mainstream programming language, used by millions of developers,
>has allowed us to become much more nimble, and from a research point
>of view, that’s great. We have lots of users so we get lots of experience
>from them. What you want is to have a lot of users but not too many
>from a research point of view -- hence the avoid success at all costs.

"Avoid success at all costs!"

-- Benjamin L. Russell
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
-- Matsuo Basho^