[Haskell-cafe] Hoogle and Network.Socket

Thomas DuBuisson thomas.dubuisson at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 13:04:29 EST 2009

Niel,

Outside of flags to enable display of modules specific to each major
platform (+windows, +posix, +osx) I see two options.  This all depends
on hoogle having some sort of list of modules for each platform, which
I believe would be the main problem.

1) Show all the functions (when the number is low), but place platform
specific functions under separate headers: "Windows",
"Linux/BSD/POSIX", "OS X", etc.

This way the users can remain as ignorant as I was and still find their data.

2) Detect the OS (when possible - perhaps difficult for the web/JS
interface) and display the functions specific to the platform
requesting the search.

This has a small issue if you are searching on one platform and
programming on/for another platform.  But the flags could still be
used.

Thomas