[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: first Grapefruit release

Wolfgang Jeltsch g9ks157k at acme.softbase.org
Tue Feb 17 07:52:20 EST 2009

Am Montag, 16. Februar 2009 22:43 schrieben Sie:
> * Wolfgang Jeltsch <g9ks157k at acme.softbase.org> [2009-02-16 14:51:18+0100]
>
> > Maybe there is someone interested in helping me with the graphics
> > support? There is already quite some stuff implemented (thanks to
> > Matthias Reisner), it’s just that this is based on the classic interface
> > of Grapefruit.
>
> Yep, I'd like to help with graphics support.

Thanks a lot.

> Currently I'm still learning about all these things (FRP, arrows, Grapefruit
> particularly), but if there are things which does not require deep
> understanding of these concepts (or even help to gain one), please tell me.

I think, you need to understand what discrete and segmented signals are. Which
is not very difficult, in my opinion. You only have to know what they mean
not how they are implemented. So you don’t need a deep understanding of all
kinds of FRP things in order to hack on Grapfruit graphics support.

Did you have a look at my e-mail conversation with Jeff Heard (in the same
haskell-cafe thread)? He thinks about adapting the Hieroglyph 2D graphics
library to Grapefruit. There is also the graphics implementation of classic
Grapefruit which is for 3D graphics and OpenGL-based. These may be things,
you want to have a look at.

> Also, I'm yet not sure about Utrecht, but if Grapefruit hacking is
> planned, it's worth coming for me :)

This sounds very good. It’s not yet sure whether I will go to Utrecht for
supervising Grapefruit hacking but it’s very likely that I will.

Best wishes,
Wolfgang