[Haskell-cafe] Amazing

Conal Elliott conal at conal.net
Sun Feb 15 22:44:38 EST 2009

Hi Peter,

I'm delighted to hear about your successes with Haskell programming!

I suspect that parametric polymorphism has a lot to do with phenomenon of
works-when-it-compiles.  The more polymorphic a signature is, the fewer the
possible type-correct definitions.  Luckily, the definition that "works" is
one of the few type-correct ones.  As John Reynolds and then Phil Wadler
showed, some useful properties necessarily hold purely as a consequence of
the polymorphic type, regardless of the implementation.  (See "Theorems for
free".)

  - Conal