[Haskell-cafe] The Haskell re-branding exercise

Sterling Clover s.clover at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 19:41:21 EST 2009

IP based limitations are a terrible idea. Multiple users can be and
often are behind the same IP if they're in some sort of intranet, be
it corporate, academic, or simply multiple home computers. Mail-based
authentication can be screwed with, sure, but it's also very easy to
notice this (as opposed to ip nonsense) through simply eyeballing the
results. There's no general everywhere way to prevent vote fraud.
However, if we make it even require a mild bit of thought, that
should be sufficient in this case, as there won't be enough votes to
prevent some sort of rough eyeball-based check of the results, and if
there are, then that's a sign of fraud for sure! Furthermore, there's
very little incentive for someone to go the extra mile here, as we're
voting for a haskell logo, and not, e.g., giving away ten thousand
dollars. Furthermore, since I assume we'll only be presenting
reasonable logos, there's not even some room for pranksters to stage
a "write-in" of some gag slogan.

Cheers,
Sterl.

On Feb 8, 2009, at 12:10 PM, Gwern Branwen wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 12:03 PM, Max Rabkin <max.rabkin at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 8:57 AM, Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> We should limit voting, and limit based on IP. If we go via email,
>>> then anyone wishing extra votes merely needs to use mailinator.com
>>> (and its dozens of alternate domain names, to say nothing of
>>> competitors providing similar services) to vote as many times as
>>> they
>>> want. If we care about fraud, then it would be a very troublesome