[Haskell-cafe] Happstack 0.1 Released!

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Fri Feb 6 00:09:37 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 4:58 PM, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:

> A comparative analysis of the 10+ Haskell web frameworks would be
> awesome.
>
> happstack, wash, fastcgi.., turbinado, perpubplat, riviera, salvia,
> kibro, ella, what was that one launched yesterday? *ah, yesod...

Wow, that's a lot more frameworks than I realized...

Anyway, I'm the guy who just started that new one, yesod. I don't think it's
a good thing that there are so many of these unfinished web frameworks out
there, and starting more is probably not that helpful. I did so because, as
far as I can tell, none of the other frameworks out there are even remotely
interested in the same goals as me.

Happs(tack) seems to have thrown all convention about web frameworks out the
window, which is fine, but not exactly usable in many conventional
scenarios. Wash, fastcgi, and kibro all seem very low-level to me. Wash and
fastcgi seem to correlate pretty well to ASP and FCGI.pm to me, which
frankly don't provide much more than basic help in creating web sites.

Turbinado seems to be the closest to what I would imagine as a mainstream
framework. However, it is ignoring some features currently that I consider
vital (correct me if I'm wrong):

* Can run on a shared host. This means something like FastCGI, not its own
server.
* It's not aiming for any high-level Javascript/AJAX integration. I frankly
think the generating plain HTML on the backend style is a little outdated at
this point, and think we need to start exploring more advanced web
development techniques.

That said, if there's an existing web framework that has any interest in
those two goals, I'd be happy to contribute to that instead of fracturing
the community any more. It would be great if we could get some serious
support behind a single framework. Obviously, I have more opinions than the
two I just listed (I previously linked to a 14-point blog entry on the
subject), but the others I would be willing to forego to achieve unity.

Anyway, that's my plea. Sorry if it hijacked this thread too much.

Michael