[Haskell-cafe] install-dirs on Mac OS X

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Fri Dec 25 23:57:21 EST 2009

Graham Klyne wrote:
> Mark Lentczner wrote:
>> [*] The Apple guidelines for the /Library and ~/Library files are
>> here:http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPFileSystem/Articles/LibraryDirectory.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20002282-BAJHCHJI
>>

> Thanks for the link.  I followed through to a couple of other links that
> broadly support your position:
>
> [1]
> http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPFileSystem/Articles/LibraryDirectory.html
>

> [2]
> http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPFileSystem/Articles/Domains.html
>

> But, on reading [1], I also see "Although an application can use this
> directory [/Library] to store internal data or temporary files, it is
> not intended for storage of the application bundle itself or for user
> data files. Application bundles belong in an appropriate /Applications
> directory, while user data belongs in the user’s home directory."
>
> This makes me question whether /Application might be the appropriate place?

/Applications is typically for GUI applications as opposed to
commandline programs. Though again, there are a few examples of
toolchains which cross that boundary and use /Applications (e.g., TeX
Live). Commandline apps which are deemed sufficiently GUI tend to go in
/Applications/Utilities which is another option (not that Haskell really
belongs there).

--
Live well,
~wren