[Haskell-cafe] GHC 6.12 on OS X 10.5

Thomas Schilling nominolo at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 21 20:03:40 EST 2009

2009/12/22 Aaron Tomb <atomb at galois.com>

> On Dec 21, 2009, at 2:44 PM, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
>
>  On Dec 21, 2009, at 17:39 , Aaron Tomb wrote:
>>
>>> The problem seems to be that some versions of iconv define iconv_open and
>>> some related functions as macros (that then call libiconv_open, etc.), and
>>> some versions of iconv have exported functions for everything. In
>>> particular, the iconv bundled with OS X (1.11) defines iconv_open, but the
>>> iconv installed with MacPorts (1.13) does not. The binary package for GHC
>>> 6.12.1 seems to have been compiled on a system without MacPorts, and
>>> therefore references iconv_open (etc.) from the Apple-distributed version of
>>> the library.
>>>

>> Perhaps the best fix for this is to submit an updated GHC port to
>> MacPorts.
>>

> This is certainly a possibility. I believe that a GHC built against
> MacPorts would work properly on a system with MacPorts installed. However,
> the downside of that approach is that any binary compiled with such a GHC
> could _only_ be run on a system with MacPorts installed.
>
> I'd love to have a GHC that would play nicely with MacPorts, but not depend
> on it unless necessary (where "necessary" means "when I use a package that
> links to a C library only available via MacPorts")

It's probably just the search path ordering, no?  I.e., if you add something
on the command line or in .cabal/config it gets added to the beginning of
the search path.  Then again, there are cases where you'd want the macports
version and others where you'd want the default version.

There's another macports related problem: Since GHC is 32bit only even on a
64bit OS X you have to compile every MacPorts module with +universal which
goes wrong often enough to break quite many (most?) packages (and
dependees).

> Aaron

Push the envelope.  Watch it bend.